What is the difference between you and the most successful person you know? Are they blessed with some extraordinary talent that you couldn’t possess if you tried? Do they have more physical stamina, better health, more charisma, charm, beauty etc? I think not.
Every single characteristic that makes up part of the ingredients for success can be found in almost anybody, maybe not all the ingredients but at least some of them. Yet as many people possess these ingredients, many of them are still unsuccessful, why?
Because there is actually a difference between successful people and unsuccessful people, and it’s not luck, it’s not beauty, it’s not charisma. It’s something that most of them have no idea that they even have.
So before you start beating yourself up for not being more like Bill Gates or the charming new recruit in your office getting all the accolades, read the following:
- Help other people succeed: Success breeds success, the more of it you give, the more of it you get. Be sincerely interested in other people ideas and opinions, listen to problems and take your time to think about solutions to proffer. 100% of successful businesses result from one person providing a solution to a problem. Teach someone things you have learned. You would be surprised by how much you learn and how much more ideas and successes will come to you.
- Don’t let your ideas stagnate: When you get an idea do not think too much about it. Do not overanalyze until it starts to seem like a bad idea. Act on it! Immediately! That’s what successful people do. They test their ideas as soon as they can. If it fails it’s easy to see what went wrong and how it can be fixed and if it works well, good for you!
- Build on your strengths: Be more of what you are; don’t try to be what you are not. Do not spend too much time trying to improve yourself. That way you stay focused on your weaknesses. Instead build on your strengths and forget whatever weaknesses you think you have. In time you will find that your strengths have either grown enough to cover those weaknesses, or you have found a way to get around them.
- Accept your Mistakes: If you refuse to accept when you have made a mistake, you will never learn from it. Don’t ever let your ego make you stubborn, uncompromising and blind to your faults.
- Go the Extra Mile: All successful people do this, they always go the extra mile, and this is the most important rule to success. Don’t ever say I’ve done as much as I can, or I’ve done my best. ‘I’ve done my best’ as some people say is only as excuse for failure. Don’t do your best. Do what is required to get it done! That may be the biggest difference between who are today and who you will be tomorrow.